LIBE 477: Reading Review - Part A

How Can Digital Technologies in the Classroom
 Promote Collaboration?


Image Courtesy of: weforum.org
With our new curriculum focusing on the development of 21st century learning, it goes without saying that technology is an aspect that needs to be explored with students for future readiness of learning, problem solving and adapting to the skills necessary for future job positions. The particular district I’m working in has invested a lot of money in improving the technology students have access to. My school at the moment is fortunate enough to be outfitted with 3 iPad carts, 5 chrome book carts and a computer lab that has transformed into a chrome book lab. 
Image courtesy of: HPstore.com


Image courtesy of: thewirecutter.com
Our students themselves have more access to technology than what I’ve observed in my early teaching history; from iPads and computers at home to their own personal smartphones; they are digital natives.  The grade seven students I have taught over the years are becoming more and more comfortable with using technology and turning to technology to gain information as a first resort.  I even have students who create and share their own YouTube videos! 
Image courtesy of: YouTube.com
Knowing that technology is not going away and students, for the most part, truly enjoy using technology, I try to incorporate the use of some digital/technological tools in my teaching - Google Suites (docs, slides), databases, YouTube videos, typing skills, coding, and audiobooks.  I admit, I am still learning and building my comfort level with this and slowly building my repertoire of “go-to” tech tools.



Extending what I’m already doing with technology, what I’d like to continue to develop in my own teaching practice and incorporate as part of my future as a teacher-librarian, is using technology as a means of promoting student collaboration. One key aspect of 21st Century learning is developing the ability to collaborate. 
Image courtesy of: https://educationrickshaw.com/2017/08/02/what-does-a-21st-century-classroom-look-sound-and-feel-like/
How can I, as a teacher, help promote collaboration within the classroom environment to extend learning in a powerful way?  Yes, my students can use technology, but how can I make it even more meaningful and useful for their futures? I’d like to explore how collaboration through technology can be used to meet the needs of all diverse students.  I wonder whether/how it will help improve student engagement, focus, and productivity?  How can I create an environment that promotes collaboration in an effective, safe and respectful manner?  In what ways can I extend collaboration outside the classroom?
 
Image courtesy of: medium.com
I am excited to extend my learning through this inquiry and help develop the different uses of digital technology for my students and myself.


Comments

  1. What a fantastic first blog Tania! You are clearly adept at technology yourself - how fortunate your students are. Respectful collaboration is key. We have such a variety of personalities in our classrooms and schools, all with different life experiences, strengths and challenges. Working together with patience and respect is paramount for our students. The collective knowledge of a class is always utterly inspiring isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tania...you are very lucky you work in a district that supports technology with more than just words. I'm curious as to whether you find student's tech abilities limited to "googling" and game-playing or are they beginning to show signs of being able to use technology in a more meaningful way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a strong first post! You have a good focus for further reading and research. I appreciate learning more about you and your personal context.
    I am interested in seeing where your learning takes you. The multiple multimedia elements (images, links, tags) enriched the experience for your reader.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LIBE 477: Final Vision Project Blog #3

LIBE 477 - Final Vision Project: Learner Considerations