LIBE 477: Inquiry #1

Read, Read, Read: Fostering a Reading Culture in Classrooms

Students are required to read for academic purposes all the time in classrooms, but what about the time to read for pure pleasure?  Time needs to be set aside for independent reading; time that requires no more than immersing oneself in a good book.  For many years, I’ve taught upper intermediate students and have found, year after year, several students who struggle to find the joy in reading simply for pleasure.  How can we help develop a reading culture in classrooms that gently nudges students in that direction?  How can we help them want to read and find joy in it?  Through some reflecting of my own practices, discussions with colleagues, and visiting other educational blogs and websites, I have found three broad categories to develop a reading culture in classrooms: selection of reading material, ways to make it a social activity, and ways to help make it fun.

Selection of reading material:

First and foremost, if we want our students to read, we need to ensure they have access to material they want to read.  Ensuring our classrooms are set up with current and interesting books in a wide range of genres, topics, and reading levels is a starting point.  Sometimes, I feel that isn’t quite enough though.  What if we don’t have the funds to outfit a classroom library?  I suppose, ensuring the school’s Library Learning Commons is always accessible for our students to grab a book is a start. What about those students who are not confident readers and grabbing a lower level reader is not appealing to them?  An essential component to building a love of reading is offering students choice in what they read.  One can extend that choice to what format of reading material they can choose from. 
Why stick with chapter books, when students can also read graphic novels, comics, newspapers, or magazines?  Why not include picture books...even at an intermediate/middle school grade?  How about having them listen to audiobooks (edublog gives a great justification for the use of these) or reading on e-reader devices if they have them or have access to them through the school? Another great idea I
obtained from a colleague of mine, is have students read each other’s creative writing.  Have students publish their writing and make a collection of them for class use.  Not only are they reading a variety of writing, but we’re encouraging writers to take joy in writing too.  Win-win!



Make reading a social activity:

As Aguilar states in her blog, “Many students (especially boys) need to interact with each other around texts. It greatly enhances their comprehension and makes it so much more enjoyable.” A way to do this is to hold book talks in class time for instance.  Every Monday during lunch time, my class and I do a “Weekend Update” where they share what they did on the weekend, what movies they saw, etc.  Why not open this up to sharing what good books they’ve been reading and why? I would model this by sharing my own love of reading and passing along some great quotes and age-appropriate book recommendations I might have come across.


Another idea is creating book clubs in your classroom or setting up Literature Circles.  I love doing Literature Circles in my room and the students seem to really enjoy the choice of books and social aspect of this.  There are many blogs online that outline how to do this, but I’ve always loved Faye Brownlie’s book that outlines how to set up Literature Circles.


Make reading fun

When time is taken to make reading fun, students will more likely “buy into” that idea.  Here are some various ways to encourage students to have fun with their reading:
  • Make the reading space an exciting place:
    • Make the classroom library a sacred, accessible space (bean bags, organized, visually appealing)

    • Decorate with book reminders everywhere (posters, displays, bulletin boards, why not a book clock?)

    • Allow students to get “comfy” when reading (beanbags, pillows, blankets, stuffies)

My students love to do this during Literature Circles!

  • Hold contests!  My students enjoy earning a paper “star” when they finish a book.  By the end of the year, if we have an entire white board bordered with stars, the class earns a pizza lunch. How about a read-a-thon to raise funds for a good cause? Check out this great idea for a March Madness Book Bracket



There are so many ideas!  I get excited just perusing all the great ideas online.  I find myself sometimes getting carried away with, “Ooh, I’ll try that...and that...and that!”  There’s no need to reinvent the wheel, just look at what great teachers are already doing to boost the reading culture in their classrooms and schools.  We don’t need to do it all, but a little bit of thought and a passion for reading exuding out of you, will surely bring most students on board the reading train!

Works referenced:

Aguilar, E. (2013, February 13). Ten Ways to Cultivate a Love of Reading in Students. Retrieved from https://www.edutopia.org/blog/cultivating-love-reading-students-elena-aguilar


Barrett, L. (2019, March 18). 25 Ways to Build Your School's Reading Culture. Retrieved from https://www.weareteachers.com/build-reading-culture/

Elizabeth. (1970, January 1). Book Clubs Have Begun :). Retrieved from http://www.funinroom4b.com/2012/04/book-clubs-have-begun.html

Mulvahill, E. (2017, July 14). This Teacher Created a March Madness Book Bracket and We Love It. Retrieved from https://www.weareteachers.com/march-madness-book-bracket/






Comments

  1. Hi, Tania,
    This blog post is educationally and visually appealing. Not only do you recommend promoting reading via access, but you've have modeled this with book pictures everywhere! Your post really resonated with me, particularly with your emphasis on students needing access to books outside of the required curriculum. I also liked your section on "making it a social activity". You mentioned the lunch time sessions -- do you find students interact in book discussions outside of group time? Do they use their own time to discuss? At the secondary level, many students are so bogged down with work that any spare time they have is spent either studying or (sneaking) in a phone game app. How can we get them to make the personal choice to grab a book instead? Must it start earlier on or can this be altered by their mid-teen years? I love all of the suggestions you have for making reading fun in the classroom, however. It has to start somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The above comment is from me -- I just figured out how to attach my name to this site :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tania,
    I very much agree with your point that having a wide range of choice in reading material is important, and echo your support of graphic novels in particular. Illustrators and authors of graphic novels create rich and complex worlds of their own, and I think they help develop visual literacy as well as reading skills in a way that is arguably more appropriate for the time in which we are living. I wasn't taught with graphic novels, but that is no reason for me to feel like they are somehow 'not real books'. On top of that and thanks to improvements in printing technology and the existence of digital screens, they are now widely available. In fact, research on graphic novels is showing that they improve empathy, and I would hypothesize also vocabulary development (because students can predict word meaning from image context as well as written).

    Here's a great article from Quartz about comic books and brain function: https://qz.com/1777533/reading-comic-books-can-improve-brain-health/

    And here's another more academic piece summarizing graphic novels from Northwestern University: https://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/blog/research-behind-graphic-novels-and-young-learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an excellent post filled with so many great ideas to foster a reading culture. I appreciate your links to outside sources. The Faye Brownlie book you link to is a particular favourite of mine! How do you feel about sharing your work with an even larger audience by cross-posting on Twitter. You have great ideas. They are worth sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darcy! Wow...Twitter, an unknown world to me! I'll give it a shot. Any suggestions on "how" to cross-post onto Twitter?

      Delete
    2. Hi again,
      What I suggest is going to Twitter and writing a short message like - Interested in fostering a reading culture in your school? Read this blog post to find out more. (and then copy and paste the link to your post).
      You can see some other LIBE 477ers trying this out here: https://twitter.com/i/lists/1214376817496248321
      Please know this is just a suggestion. If it is not something you are interested in it will not impact your assessment. I just offer it as a way to share your great ideas with a larger audience.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LIBE 477: Final Vision Project Blog #3

LIBE 477 - Final Vision Project: Learner Considerations