LIBE 477: Inquiry #2 - Developing your own ICT Skills and Pedagogy
LIBE 477: Inquiry #2
Developing your own ICT Skills and Pedagogy
Education practices need changing as the world we live in is changing. No longer are traditional teaching methods sufficient for the digital age we are living in. With information at our fingertips, memorization and regurgitation of information is no longer relevant. We as teachers/teacher-librarians need to help our students develop the 21st Century skills that will better prepare them for the future they will be living in. Our students are digital natives and we, as educators, need to help them develop digital and media literacy. Technology is changing at such a rapid rate, how does one keep up? How do we find the time to explore and develop our own ICT skills?
I believe the first step is acknowledging that the teaching profession is one in which life-long learning needs to happen. It is not a static, learn-it-once, type of job. I’d say most jobs aren’t! That being said, starting with the mindset that we are always learning is the beginning to being open to continual adaptation and change.
For myself particularly, developing my ICT skills and pedagogy has been a journey that continues to grow. I used to see myself as “technologically delayed” as using technology didn’t come easily to me. Over the last decade, with a life-long learner mindset and willingness to learn, I am building my confidence with tech use and using it in my classroom more and more. There is always more to learn and develop, so how do I keep up? The following are some strategies that will help me maintain my explorations and development of technology use in my personal and professional life:
By having a life-long learner mindset, attending future professional development opportunities, networking with other educators/tech savvy individuals, and taking the time to play with new tech tools on my own and with my students, I will continue to develop my ICT skills and pedagogy. Not only will I be confident in my ability to teach my students the skills necessary to be “tech ready” for their futures, I, myself will continue to develop the skills to be a 21st century learner and thrive in our digital world, now and in the unknown future.
Work Referenced:
Wardlow, L., & Harm, E. (2015). Using Appropriate Digital Tools to Overcome Barriers to Collaborative Learning in Classrooms. Educational Technology, 55(3), 32-35. Retrieved February 2, 2020, from www.jstor.org/stable/44430370
Developing your own ICT Skills and Pedagogy
![]() |
| Image courtesy of: https://www.aeseducation.com/career-readiness/what-are-21st- century-skills |
![]() |
| Image courtesy of: http://thoughtfulcampaigner.org/life-long-learning-for-campaigners/ |
![]() |
| Image courtesy of: https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/ICT-Applications/Pages/default.aspx |
- Learn from the students - as digital natives, so many students already know how to use technology. When I try out different tools in the classroom, I am open with my students that I am learning and still developing my skills. We learn to troubleshoot together and find efficient ways to use the tools. The students have a great sense of pride when they are able to teach the teacher something they discovered (or know) about a tech tool. I have learned so much from them already and know I will continue to learn from them.

Image courtesy of:
https://insights.samsung.com/2016/01/20/collaboration-matters-and-technology-in-the-classroom-helps/
- Attend workshops/conferences - During previous professional development days in our district or in nearby cities, I have actively sought out workshops and/or conferences that focus on developing technology skills and how to implement them in schools. For example, I’ve taken workshops learning about the Google Suites applications (docs, slides, classroom, read and write), how to use Spheros, digital tools we can use for our struggling learners, and even one on how to incorporate digital tools (ex. YouTube, Twisted Sifter, etc.) to engage our visual learners. What has been particularly useful for me is attending professional development opportunities that give me the time to play, discover and collaborate with others when learning these new tools/methods. As Wardlow (2015) discussed in his journal article, Using Appropriate Digital Tools to Overcome Barriers to Collaborative Learning in Classrooms, this is one way of overcoming barriers to using technology in the classroom. Teachers need the time to become comfortable with the tools and how they can be used within the classroom. There is so much more to learn as new technologies and teaching practices develop. I will continue to seek out workshops that will help me develop digital and media literacies in my classroom (and one day library).
- Network with others - learning from others has been a great source of knowledge and skill development for me. It is amazing what rich learning happens when we talk to one another, share ideas and skills, and practice with one another.
My husband, who is the “tech savvy” one in our household and a teacher too, is a fantastic source of knowledge and troubleshooting for me. We love sharing the tech discoveries we’ve made and how we use them in the classroom. There are so many ways that educators are connecting and sharing their learning already:
Image courtesy of:
https://www.360webdesigns.com - In our district, we have bi-weekly PLC (professional learning community) time, where staff can collaborate and share on common goals. The evolution of my skills and implementation of the Google Suites has come from playing around with other staff on developing these skills. We continue to share tools we’ve learned and how we can use them with our students.
- There are several local (and global) sites (Twitter, Blogs, Facebook pages, etc), where educators are sharing their knowledge and experiences with ICT. I will continue to explore these to keep updated on what is new and how to develop my skills.
- Through this course (LIBE 477), there is already a fantastic network of learners learning together and sharing their learning and experiences on blogs. By reading these, I’m learning and can continue to collaborate with those whose ideas and experiences align with what I’m working toward developing.
- There is also a teacher librarian professional group of learners in our district that meet monthly to discuss all things associated with the library program, including the inclusion of technology to support students and teachers. Attending meetings and being a part of their network of emails/newsletters and facebook page, will help me continue to learn.
- Do my own professional development/research - The internet is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to developing ICT skills. When I’m stuck, I often turn to google or YouTube to troubleshoot with me. I also love checking out professional resources and/or websites that help me discover ways to develop digital and media literacy in my teaching practice. This, for example, is how I discovered Mediasmarts, a great online tool that helps educators teach these skills to students. Subscribing to websites is another way to get information about topics I’m interested in. Lastly, I need to take the time to “play”.
From previous experience, trying out new technology, playing with it, and experimenting with it in the classroom, makes me understand it more and makes me more confident with my skills. By continuing to find the time to explore, I will continue to develop my ICT skills.
Image courtesy of:
https://www.ewa.org/expanded-learning-time
By having a life-long learner mindset, attending future professional development opportunities, networking with other educators/tech savvy individuals, and taking the time to play with new tech tools on my own and with my students, I will continue to develop my ICT skills and pedagogy. Not only will I be confident in my ability to teach my students the skills necessary to be “tech ready” for their futures, I, myself will continue to develop the skills to be a 21st century learner and thrive in our digital world, now and in the unknown future.
Work Referenced:
Wardlow, L., & Harm, E. (2015). Using Appropriate Digital Tools to Overcome Barriers to Collaborative Learning in Classrooms. Educational Technology, 55(3), 32-35. Retrieved February 2, 2020, from www.jstor.org/stable/44430370



Hi Tania. I find myself nodding my head as I read your post: life-long learning and taking it upon oneself to learn what is required certainly seem to guide my teaching practice, too. I think it would be rare to find a new or mid-career teacher these days who did not have to take on a new course or grade level or subject every year. I've worn so many hats I can't keep track! I have also been using the knowledge of colleagues and sharing new apps or tech-based lesson ideas, especially with TLs in my LSA. However, I find that often students only know part of a program, or can navigate on their device but not the school computer -- the student as tech teacher falls short for me, although certainly some proficient kids are always able to assist their peers and I'm grateful for that willingness and skill. Have you tried inviting students to teach the class about a favourite tech trick or shortcut? If one could keep them on track with school-related apps instead of social media or gaming it might be a win for everyone!
ReplyDeleteI think that something that gets in the way of students knowing how to use programs is that with a more traditional teaching mindset, tech programs are something that you use when you're at the finishing stage of a project, and so students often get tossed into these programs when they're stressed and feeling like they've already finished the "real work". Kids (and people) need time to explore and work with these technologies to get basic understandings of them - but that bites time away from curriculum. I think it ends up being a vicious cycle.
DeleteA great post that outlines strong specific strategies for continuing to develop your ICT skills. I appreciate the different ways you list to network with others. Learning from and with our PLN is key; as is the life-long learner mindset you reference.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Tania. We can't ever stop learning - I combining this with connections and research are the only way we can keep our heads above water in the world of tech.
ReplyDeleteGreat ideas, Tania! I particularly liked that your first one was for us to listen to and learn from our students. There is no place like the school library where this is highly possible. I have learned more about our 3D printer this year by working with my students rather than from learning it myself! It's a great partnership in that way, and the students take more ownership of the tech they become experts in. I think your point about making sure one has time to "play" is quite important as well. Often, we find tech we're interested in, but we don't check it out and thus don't use it. Time to explore is so essential -- and, as Morgan points out, for students as well. But, isn't 'time' always what we need more of?
ReplyDeleteSigh. The "Unknown" comment is from me again. I keep forgetting to sign out of my work account as it won't recognize me . . . sorry about that!
Delete