LIBE 477 - Inquiry Blog #3: Teacher-librarians as ICT Professional Development Leaders

Teacher-librarians as ICT Professional Development Leaders


Image Courtesy of:https://info.askalibrarian.org/
Through the work I’ve been doing during this course and other courses I’ve taken toward the teacher-librarianship diploma, I’ve learned so many skills that I hadn’t known or used before.  For instance, blogging, using data-bases for information, using different tech tools for demonstrating my learning (Padlet, Symbaloo, Powtoon, etc.), information to teach digital and media literacy - the list goes on and on. As a previously self-labelled “technologically delayed individual”, I feel incredibly accomplished learning how to use these different tools.  As a teacher librarian (TL), I think we are in the perfect position to help our colleagues feel this sense of accomplishment in developing their ICT skills at schools. Carl A. Harvey II in “Are You the Next Leader in Our Profession” (2011) states that “We have to be one of the folks in the building to whom students and staff look for guidance, support, and encouragement. We want to be models; our patrons should see the librarian as someone who is a lifelong learner, always striving to make their program better.”  Through professional development opportunities (as discussed in my previous blog), the teacher-librarian should be on the forefront of discovering new resources and tools.  The next step is to establish themselves as professional development leaders.  All teachers have differing levels of knowledge and confidence when it comes to digital technologies.  Teacher-librarians should consistently be connecting staff to new resources and opportunities.  Here is a brainstorm of some suggested ways this can be done: 


  • Create curated lists of websites, apps and/or tools that can be used in classrooms by teachers and students to support learning and discovery.  This can be done on a print out, or even better, an email, digital document, blog or Symbaloo with direct links that teachers and students can explore. 
    Image courtesy of:
    https://www.technology4teacher.com/symbaloo-assignment.html

  • Using the curated list, share some of the various tech tools and/or methods of using tech in classrooms with teachers during staff meetings and/or PLC days (bi-weekly professional learning community time in our district/schools , where staff can collaborate and share on common goals).  Simple demonstrations of discoveries, may be enough to encourage other staff to explore or ask the TL for more information.
  • Lead and support a Professional Tech Club. Similar to a professional book club that I’ve participated in at various schools, where teachers pick a professional education book to read and discuss, why not do the same with discovering and developing ICT skills/knowledge?  I can see the TL sharing a suggested tech tool (to start) that those who are involved can explore individually.  Then they can meet (just like a book club) at a predetermined time once a month at school (lunch, afterschool, PLC, etc.) to discuss what was discovered, troubleshooting, pros and cons of the tool, how it can be used in classrooms, how it can be used to drive inquiry, etc.  This would be so exciting and such a rich opportunity for colleagues to share and explore together. Perhaps as the individuals become more confident, they may even suggest other findings/tools of their own!
    Image courtesy of: https://www.twenty20.com
  • Collaborate with teachers in developing lessons/ideas that incorporate various technology to support diverse learners.  Developing lesson plans collaboratively or even team teaching, allows the TL to demonstrate ICT incorporation into classrooms in such a way that allows the teacher to develop his/her skills and build confidence. Trevor MacKenzie (2019) speaks to the value of working collaboratively with the teacher-librarian: “I have discovered rich support and learning in my own backyard when I have collaborated with my teacher-librarian. This educational professional is often under-utilized in a school environment. Many teachers see the librarian interact only with students, but they are invaluable resources for teachers as well. Collaboration with a teacher-librarian creates a rich inquiry practice for classroom teachers that can easily be implemented with students. If we develop the habit of accessing this great resource as a regular class routine throughout the year, we will see the kind of progress and success we are looking for.”  


Overall, I think it is important for teacher-librarians to present themselves as approachable, personable, and collaborative sources of information for staff. Toor & Weisburg (2012) write about the personal relationships being even more important than the professional ones. Teachers need to feel comfortable wandering into the library for a chat or to look for resources. By putting oneself out there, often, TL’s can let staff know they are there to help in whatever way is necessary...no pressure!  Building a strong foundation with teaching staff will help the teacher-librarian to become an indispensable member of the school as a professional development leader.


Works Referenced:

Harvey II, Carl A. (2011). “Are You the Next Leader in Our Profession?”Library Media Connection, 29(6), 14. Retrieved from http://web.a.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.library.ubc.ca/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=1&sid=e4203618-7b3c-4698-8f51-dd5c10c08d78%40sdc-v-sessmgr06

MacKenzie, Trevor (2019, March 18). Classroom Inquiry’s Secret Weapon: The Teacher-Librarian. Canadian School Libraries Journal. Retrieved from https://journal.canadianschoollibraries.ca/classroom-inquirys-secret-weapon-the-teacher-librarian/

Toor, R., & Weisburg, H. K. (2012). New on the job: A School Library Media Specialist’s Guide to Success. 2nd edition. Chicago: American Library Association

Comments

  1. Great supporting images! TLs really are superheroes. I agree whole-heartedly with your statement about TLs needing to create positive relationships with other staff and really offer up an aura of "I'm here to help!". You've also made some very good suggestions for how one can actively begin to create a culture of learning/pro-D within the school. I imagine something like the Tech Club could attract students and teachers, with beneficial learning coming from all sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly enjoy how your first two suggestions build on one another. Have you used symbaloo at all? If you have, what do you think of it? I keep on hearing about it in this class and on ed Twitter. I've been using the Destiny Collections feature to do this kind of thing, but have been pretty unimpressed with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've created a Symbaloo for a UBC class before, but have not yet used it with my own class. I'm playing around with it now and am trying to figure out if I can make more than one Symbaloo and whether it is even necessary. My thinking is, I'd like one for specific projects and linked websites students can go to that deal with that particular project; then have a different one for different assignments or activities. I'm still discovering.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you that TLs need to establish themselves as professional development leaders. While this can be daunting, as you suggest, bringing people together to facilitate their learning such as with professional book/tech clubs allow us to facilitate learning without having to be the expert in everything. I believe this is one of our true superpowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the Professional Tech Club! We have a book club that meets a couple times a year -- you just inspired me to set up tech stations at our next "Sweet Reads" event when staff come for treats -- we can have a few stations set up with new tech for teachers to peruse alongside the books . . . a no-pressure situation! I also love your theme of the superhero -- it really grabs me as a lover of comics and graphic novels. Also, the Trevor McKenzie quote you provide is a good one. I may have to copy it and use it another time :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LIBE 477: Final Vision Project Blog #3

LIBE 477 - Final Vision Project: Learner Considerations